Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mel's Mind, January 21, 2009

I was so excited yesterday -- I was glued to the TV and had a difficult time pulling myself away. I am so pro Obama/Biden anyway -- and it was thrilling to see them take command of our country. I think we are in for some big changes in the next couple of years; I am sure that some of them will be really difficult for us, but necessary. I look forward to the draw down of the troops in Iraq. I think it is senseless that we are still there. I don't think we are helping the citizens of that country; I do think that we are creating a sort of helpless dependence on the soldiers there.

I often wonder if the President Bush really thought that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. I sometimes think that it was a sort of revenge for his father's failed mission there. I know that when it was discovered that there were no weapons of mass destruction, the troops should have begun a draw down, but there wasn't. I would like to be inside of Bush's head to understand why he made some of the decisions that he made. When he left DC yesterday, I thought he was looking old and tired. I felt a twinge of sympathy for him and Laura. I guess history will tell what sort of president he was.

In the same vein of thought, we face a new commander and a new force of power. I heard a comment on the news that President Obama was concerned that he would lose the man that he was before the election. In some ways, it is inevitable that he will change -- I don't know that he will lose that man, but I know he will change. I hope he does keep his ideals though. Power can corrupt if you don't wield it correctly.

I am sure that others have high hopes for the future too. I know that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment