Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Jacob



On this day, Jacob and I were taking pictures of each other taking pictures! We have a lot of fun together.

Jacob is so many things, the least of which is a child with Autism, but that sometimes can be his greatest challenge. We have worked hard on looking someone in the face when you talk to them. For a lot of children with Autism spectrum disorders, looking at someone's face when talking to them is overstimulating. The reason it is important for a child with Autism to learn this, is because many people think that you are being inattentive if you are not looking at them when you talk to them. Think back to your parents. Did they ever tell you, "Look at me when I am talking to you." Mine sure did, and I have caught myself saying the same thing to my children. We want to be assured that the child is listening.


For Jacob, not only does he look at your face when you are talking, but often he will meet and hold your gaze. It is amazing when you realize that this is something he had to learn. Think the next time you are talking with someone, especially if they appear to be not focusing on you. It may be all they can to to simply listen.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been doing a great job with him. My cousin's son with autism is 6 weeks older than my son with Down syndrome. Each is a joy to his mother, as I can see your son is to you.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete