Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Warrior Mothers


My son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome quite some time ago. For those who don't know, it falls under the high end of the Autism Spectrum. As a mom, it is difficult for me to be so gung ho about the disabilities of my children.


Take, for example, warrior Mom, Jenny McCarthy. She has faught for her children, wrote a book about it, and is even opening a school for other children like hers. I admire her. I just don't know where she gets all of that energy to build a whole world for her child.


I do try, I talk to other professionals about diagnosis and labeling. I talk to them about education and try to do what it is best. I have professional help for both of my boys. I read a lot of literature about it. I even obtained educational certification for special education in order for me to better understand the challenges that we, as a family were facing in that arena. But I am a far cry from a Jenny McCarthy. She, to me, is a true super-mom. I don't know if I can have aspirations that high.


I have been told by some very wise people that you work with what you know, and as long as you feel you are doing your best, then you are. I try to agree with that sometimes, but the bar is set so high. If anyone has insight into either Asperger's or Bi-Polar, please share with me. I am always open to new experiences and knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. My son has aspergers. There are no answers that I have found. My son is 11 and is doing well but its always an adventure.

    ReplyDelete