Monday, March 18, 2013

Did they say SPRING break or WINTER Break?

Three days ago, the weather was perfect.  Sunshine all around, blue skies, everyone getting their share of Vitamin D -- and all was right with the world, at least in my little part of it. Skip to yesterday -- snow in the morning, gray skies, rainy all afternoon.  And to top it off, it was cold, cold outside.

My boys are on Spring Break, but it seems more like a winter break to me.St. Louis pays homage to St. Patrick with Parades and multiple festivities.  I didn't feel very festive though as I lay huddled under a blanket with a space heater on.

The only real spring like thing around seems to be the birds.  The robins are out in full force, even if they are a bit puffed up as they ruffle  their feathers in an attempt to stay warm. There were literally hundreds of birds -- although I have to confess I don't know what they were -- outside this morning.  I heard them before I saw them.  I was coming back from picking up my son, when I opened my car door to the chatter of birds that was so intense you couldn't hardly hear yourself talk. I stepped out of the car and began to look around.  When I  turned around, the neighborhood trees and power lines were full of them.  I am guessing that my little corner of the world is in their migration path.  It was made even more awesome, because when my son shut his car door after getting out this morning, about 1/2 of those birds whooshed up in the air creating an amazing spectacle of birds almost blacking out the sky as they lifted off. It really was something like you would see on television.  My head is still swimming with the sight of all of those birds taking flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment