Thursday, February 16, 2012

A life well lived

I have been reflecting on the loss of Whitney Houston. Perhaps it touches me so because we are of the same age -- both born in 1963. Her life, for all of the supposed glamour that came with it appears to be one filled with heart ache.

I think of words that I have heard from other celebrities -- about how life as a celebrity isn't always as it appears to be. It is often filled with loneliness and isolation. I don't think I would want that kind of life. Sure, money can bring all sorts of material luxuries, but what are they if your life is empty otherwise?

I can't imagine not knowing who I could trust, who I could turn to. Always second guessing as to whether or not those around you are there for the money and fame or out of true love.

My life is often difficult. My health is not great. I suffer from chronic depression in addition to my other health issues. I have been to that edge and stepped over, not wanting to live any longer because I was so in the depths of that dark depression. I am financially poor by USA standards. But I have love of friends and family. I am rarely bored or lonely, and to be quite truthful, I don't feel especially poor. I have a house with electricity, heat, and running water. My children have luxuries like video games and the computer. We have three pets. I have a solid car that is paid for. I don't have the newest and best, but I am content. I wonder if Whiteny Houston would have said that smame thng. For all she had, I believe I have more.

No comments:

Post a Comment