Saturday, December 11, 2010

Author Kathryn Stockett

I just finished reading Kathryn Stockett's The Help. It is a novel about black maids and the white families they worked for during the turbulent 60's. A great read -- definitely thought provoking.

I read much of it in a kind of hand over the mouth shock. I am too young to remember segregationist America, but old enough to remember seeing my first African American -- because I did live in a segregated America. I know people that believe things should still be that way, and I am ashamed for them. Color of skin -- or religion or sexual preference for that matter, should not be the determining factor in how one person feels about another.

At any rate, you should read this novel. It is a great look into our not so distant past. You can click on the title of this entry to launch directly to Kathryn Stockett's web site. I encourage you to do so.


2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence! I am reading the same book! Morris has told me stories about his childhood that are so similar to some of those in the book. I can't wait to see how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. patricknjacob@aol.comDecember 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

    Great minds think alike! I would like to talk about it when you are finished. Are you liking it?

    ReplyDelete