Friday, September 4, 2009

Michael Jackson

Michale Jackson was finally laid to rest last night. His body is in a mausoleum that is not open to the public. I am sure that is the best thing for his family; they can go to see him without being troubles with throngs of adoring fans.

I still am having a hard time accepting that he is really gone. It isn't that I am such a fan -- I mean, I am, but -- as I have said before -- his presence has always been in the background of my life -- ever since I can remember. As a child, there was Michael and the Jackson 5. When I was in college, he was just embarking on his solo career -- and he was a hit in the dorm that I lived in. From then on, there was his music -- his dance moves -- his is energy -- his life, running consistently in the background. No matter what I was going through -- there he was. And that has always been the case.

Now he is gone. The last part of my youth is gone. There will never be a smash concert series by him or any chance to see him perform live. Wasted chances that I always thought I would be able to change -- many of them are gone. I need to face my life and recognize that there are limited chances. Michael will not be able to see his children grow into adulthood. He won't even be there to help them through pre-teen angst. I ache for his children. I am glad that their father was put to rest last night, so they can move forward. I hope that they someday realize -- even though there were things in his life that I am sure he could change -- don't we all have those though -- Michael Jackson was a larger than life star. He began performing at age 5, and his whole being was creating the music and moves that defined him. As chis children grow up without their father, my generation grows old without our icon. So sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment